PREIMPLANTATION GENETIC TESTING (PGT) SERVICE
Nowadays the technology that used for infertility treatment still continuously develop, not only for helping in infertility treatment but also diagnose genetic diseases in the embryo before implantation. From that reason, the pregnancy success rate increases while also helping to decrease miscarriage rate from the genetic abnormalities in babies.
Genetic Disorder can be divided into 2 groups:
PGT-A (Preimplantation Genetic Testing for Aneuploidy)
In every human has 23 pairs of chromosomes that control the genetic characteristics and body characteristics (Autosome), 22 pairs and control sexual characteristics (Sex Chromosome), 1 pair.
Chromosomal abnormalities can be divided into 2 groups namely the number of chromosomes (Numerical) and the structure of the chromosome (Structural) causing physical or brain disorders.
Chromosome abnormalities can be analyzed by using the PGT-A method (Preimplantation Genetic Testing for Aneuploidy) which is known as PGS (Preimplantation Genetic Screening). PGT-A is a genome sequence or DNA SCREENING provides high detailed of chromosome analysis and can detect both chromosome 24 chromosomes with high accuracy (99.9%).
Who can benefit from PGT-A?
• Female whose age over 35 years (Advanced Maternal Age; AMA) has a risk of giving birth to children with Down’s syndrome.
- Male / female patients who has a history of genetic disorders in the family.
- People with history of unsuccessful fertility treatments, or having many times of recurrent miscarriage.
PGT-M (Preimplantation Genetic Testing for Monogenic Syndrome)
Gene is considered a genetic basis appears on the chromosome, consisting of DNA which determines the genetic characteristics of the organism.
In humans, there are many different genes in size from small genes with only a few DNA to genes with more than two million of DNA. Currently, there are estimation that all genes in humans are about 20,000 to 25,000 genes.
In everyone, there are 2 copies of gen, divided from the father and another one copy from the mother. If there is a change in any copy or both copies whether missing the gene or changing in order of DNA within the gene may cause changes when transmitted to the next generation, there are some characteristics that are different from the original.
The diseases caused by abnormalities at the gene level can be divided into 2 groups
(1) Single Gene Disorder which abnormalities may be caused by genetic inheritance of Dominant genes in both body chromosome and sex chromosome (X-linked) and Recessive genes, such as thalassemia, and polycystic kidney disease.
(2) Genetic Mutation which is a disease cause by factors of living or changing environment (Multiple Gene/Multifactorial Disorder) such as heart disease, Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes, cancer and obesity.
Who will benefit from PGT-M?
- Families with a single gene disease history
- Families with children with single gene disease
At Siam Fertility Clinic, provide Preimplantation Genetic Testing (PGT) service by Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) technology to analyzes genetic diseases due to chromosomal abnormalities (by PGT-A) and Genes abnormalities (by PGT-M) before embryo implantation to increase the chances of pregnancy that is completely normal and can reduce miscarriage rates.